Business Analytics - Apr 09-11, 2015
|Time:||9:00am - 5:00pm||Download PDF|
|Contact:||Tel: (0213) 8104700 (Ext:1804, 1807, 1809)|
This workshop introduces participants to data analytic thinking as they examine and practice all parts of analytics lifecycle from business problem and data understanding to model building and evaluation. The workshop employs extensive use of analytics software to enhance understanding of the key concepts. Both predictive and descriptive modeling techniques and their applications in social media analytics, web analytics, customer analytics and risk analytics are discussed.
In addition, participants learn techniques for gathering, transforming, and cleaning structured and unstructured data from disparate sources while building a toolkit of analytical techniques. They also gain an understanding of how to construct models and test the validity of results. The course relies heavily on case studies to explain how a business problem is formulated into an analyticalmethod. The course also emphasizes the current trends and future forecasts in the field of analytics and broadensparticipants' horizon about the human and technical resourcesthey would be needing to successfully implement analytics in an organization.
There is no formal prerequisite but participants are expected to have basic familiarity with probability and statistics.
The workshop is primarily designed for Business Analysts, Marketers, Data Analyst, BI Managersand key people within IT, working in financial, telecommunication, marketing, health, retail and other sectors, who are interested in applying business analytics methods to gain unique insights about their businesses and to use them to get competitive advantage.
Dr. Sajjad Haider:
is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Institute of Business Administration Karachi (IBA) and also heads the Artificial Intelligence Lab. He also holds a dual position of Honorary Associate in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, University of Technology, Sydney (UTS).
Dr. Haider did his MS and PhD from George Mason University (USA) in the field of Decision Sciences. He is also a certified Data Scientist from EMC. After finishing his PhD, he worked for Fannie Mae (USA) where he led the data analytics efforts to develop credit scoring and fraud detection models on large data sets having tens of millions of observations. At the University of Technology, Sydney, he has been involved in the design and development of executive level analytics curriculum for one of the leading banks in Australia. He has alsowon a National ICT R&D Fund's grant to develop anti-money laundering system using data analytics techniques. He has authored more than four dozen research papers published in international journals and conference proceedings. He has been teaching Business Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data Analytics and other related courses at IBA for the past many years. Dr. Haider is a recipient of Best Teacher Award from Higher Education Commission (Pakistan), Endeavour Fellowship from Australian Govt., Best Paper Award from International Council on Systems Engineering (USA) and Best Student Paper Award from Command and Control Research and Program (USA). He also received the best student award in MS (George Mason University), gold medal in MCS (Karachi University) and gold medal in B.Sc.(H) (Karachi University).
- Classification trees
- Naive Bayes
- K-means clustering
- Association rule mining
- Text analytics and their applications in social media analytics
- Web analytics
- Customer analytics
- Risk analytics.
- Information needs of an organization as well as information that would drive competitive advantage.
- Standard process for data analytics applications
Participants will learn how to:
- understand the popular analytical methods and their applications in variety of areas including but not limited to risk, fraud, social media, web, marketing, etc.
- Understand the technical and human resource requirements to successfully implement analytics in an organization
- Have the capability to identify opportunities in which business analytics can be used to create value.
- Know how to use and apply selected business analytics software
- Manage (and contribute in) analytics projects and to communicate the scope/progress/findings with CTO, expert data miners and other business analysts .
- Inclusive of Course material, IBA Workshop Certificate, Lunch, Refreshments & Business networking