Professionalizing the Family Businesses & Succession Planning - May 5 & 6, 2017
|Time:||9:00am - 5:00pm||Download PDF|
|Venue:||Avari Hotel Lahore||Reg Form|
|Contact:||Tel: (0213) 8104700 (Ext:1804, 1807, 1809)|
This Program aims to develop an awareness of the complexity and the problems faced by a family-owned business and the practice of business enterprises. It provides a framework for the systematic analysis of the issues involved in establishing and managing a family-owned business successfully. This involves an understanding of the struggle by the founder member of the family to keep intact the entrepreneurial spirit that brought the company to its present stage of growth. The Program aims at turning around the critical issues faced by the family business into management challenges for further growth and perpetuity of the company. It will also help in the selection of an appropriate strategy and the outlining of a coordinated plan of action.
Given the brevity of the Program, the general management concepts like; marketing, finance and production will not be covered in any depth. This Program will stress, on the other hand, the interpersonal dynamics of a multi-systems based organization which is the family-owned business.
- To be successful, this program will require extensive participation in class by the attendees. Active participation has proven a very successful teaching methodology for adult learners. The instructor will, therefore, make every effort to elicit participation from all members of the group.
- The sessions are divided into segments of brief lectures, videos, discussions, and exercises. The lectures & videos will present a particular methodology or elucidate some concept. The discussions are to be in the form of a dialogue between the instructor and the class. The aim of these discussions is to:
- firm-up the understanding of concepts;
- draw out examples from the participants own experiences; and
- have each participant think about and discuss his/her own particular business. The exercises will require each participant to apply concepts and methodologies learned in his/her own particular situation.
- The experience of the participants in managing their own business is an extremely valuable learning resource. To capitalize on this resource, the Program will utilize this experience intensively. The instructor may ask two participants, before the first class for their full participation in developing live cases for discussions during the program. Thus, there would be a couple of live cases for discussions and benefit of the participants.
- These 'live cases' will constitute the common stream which will flow through all of the four modules. Nevertheless, the contributions of the experience of the other participants will also be actively elicited to give added richness to the group.
- The exercises will provide each participant with the opportunity to apply the concepts learned to his/her own particular situation. Sometimes the exercises will be completed in class, other times they will be assigned to be completed by the following session.
- The exercises are designed to lead each participant, step-by-step, to develop an action plan for his/her company. It is important, therefore, that these exercises be completed. Time should be allocated for this.
- Responses to exercises are useful vehicles for group discussion. The instructor will attempt to use these, but always after obtaining prior permission from the participants involved.
- Module 1: INTRODUCTION
- Module 2: PROFESSIONALIZATION & THE FAMILY BUSINESS.
- Module 3: IMPORTANCE & THE ROLE OF FAMILY MEETINGS.
- Module 4: PASSING ON THE DREAM: SUCCESSION PLANNING
- Module 5: INDUCTING A BOARD OF DIRECTORS IN FAMILY BUSINESS
Who Should Attend?
This program is aimed at family-owned companies and will provide immediately useful and applicable concepts which will help the owner/manager to enhance his/her effectiveness as a business leader as well as leader of the family. By the end of the program, the participants will be able to develop a strategic plan for his/her business on an ongoing basis.
DR. JUNAID AHMAD
Ph.D in Finance and Policy from McGill University Canada, M.A. in Economics from McGill University Canada M.B.A. and BCom from Concordia University, Canada and BCom Govt. College of Commerce & Economics, Karachi.
- He has industry experience at senior and top management levels at Bell Canada, National Construction Ltd. and Agriauto Industries Ltd.
- He started his consulting practice by offering workshops on professionalizing family businesses in 1986. He offered these workshops six times between 1986 to 1988. These workshops were very well received and provided him a number of clients which helped him build NMC as Pakistan's premier management consultancy.
- Chairman and founder of National Management Consultants (Pvt) Ltd. Pakistan's premier management consultancy firm. Since June, 1986 NMC has completed over 1,400 studies in the areas of management, finance, economics, engineering, policy and strategy. During the last over 30 years. NMC has assisted in setting-up over 200 industrial, commercial (136 units), financial (10 banks & FIs), educational (40 institutions including three universities, LUMS, Hamdard & Foundation University) and health care projects (14 hospitals).
- Has been actively involved in development of both public policies as well as strategies for the corporate sector. Major works include National Conservation Strategy, National Manpower Plan, National Technology Policy, Five Year Development Plan for the Engineering Industry, Leather industry, Automotive industry, etc.
- Chairman of NEC Consultants since 1992, Pakistan's largest environmental consulting firm employing more than 100 engineers in the field of environment with offices in Riyadh and Toronto.
- Founder Chairman of Vital Information Services (VIS) - the only Financial Ranking and Corporate Data Warehousing Company of Pakistan. VIS is the principal shareholder of JCR-VIS Credit Rating Company which controls major market share for credit rating in the Country. Both these are market leaders.
- Chairman of APTECH Pak Operations. Operating 25 Aptech Computer Education Centers in the Country with over 15,000 students.
He has advised a number of Govt. departments, State Owned Enterprises and private corporates including:
- Ministry of Finance / Prime Minister as Investment Advisor (2006-2008). During this two year tenure helped mobilize US$ 8.2 billion foreign investment highest ever in Pakistan.
- Civil Aviation Authority, as Advisor to DG, CAA (2004-06) Air Marshal Saleem Arshad where he helped CAA increase their annual revenue collection from Rs. 3.0 billion to over Rs. 11.0 billion.
- International Islamic University Islamabad (2009-2011) as Advisor to President, IIUI Dr. Anwar Siddiqui and helped them in becoming financially viable reducing their budget requirement from the GoP by 70% (Budget of Rs. 1,000 million was reduced to Rs. 300 million per year).
- DHA Karachi as Advisor to Corps Commander, Karachi (2011-12) Lt. Gen (R) Zaheer ul Islam.
- Currently he is advising KPT on a number of important financial matters. He is an advisor to China Communications and Construction Company (CCCC) (formed as a merger of China Rail, China Harbour and China Road & Bridge Construction companies).
- He has been an Academician and has experience of teaching at Masters Level in Concordia & McGill Universities, Montreal and IBA, Karachi, having accumulated teaching experience of over 25 years.
PKR 100,000/- (plus all applicable taxes) Last date to register April 25, 2017
- Curriculum Development
- Research and design of the program
- Study materials and take-away documents thereof
- IBA Workshop Certificates
- Group Photographs
- All breakfast, dinner, lunch and coffee breaks during the program.
- Lecture theatres and team rooms
- Technical support
- Project and program management charges
Each application will be thoroughly screened, and will only be accepted if deemed suitable for the program. Nominations with incomplete application forms will not be entertained.
Payment is due upon receipt of the acceptance of participants to the program along with the invoice. Please ensure that the payment reaches the CEE Office before commencement of the program because seat in the class will only be reserved once the fee is received.
Payment can be made via cheque / bank draft payable to the "Institute of Business Administration, Karachi" at the following address:
Center for Executive Education (CEE)
IBA, City Campus, Garden/Kayani Shaheed Road,
For online payments via credit cards:
(From dropdown 1 & 2 please select 'CEE Workshops')
Note: Registration is only confirmed when full payment has been received.
Fee once deposited will be refunded as per schedule given below. Substitute nominations will be accepted maximum by April 30, 2017. The substitute will also have to complete the same registration process, and undergo the same selection process as the original nominee.
In the event of participant cancellation, the following schedule will apply:
Till last date of registration, April 25, 2017 Between 25 & 30 April 2017 After April 30 2017 No cancellation fee 50% program fee forfeiture 100% program fee forfeiture
Cancellation notification must be made in writing to CEE.
Should we be unable to accept your application for any reason, your payment (cheque/draft) will be returned to you. In case of refunds of online payments, bank charges will be deducted.