Business Analytics - February 19 to 21, 2020
|Time:||9:00am - 5:00pm||Download PDF|
|Contact:||Tel: (0213) 8104700 (Ext: 1809, 1812, 1808, 1804)
This hands-on three-day workshop has two distinct themes: The first part introduces students and business professionals to the fundamentals of data science to leverage extensive proprietary data resources held by firms and businesses of all sizes. The past two decades have witnessed a massive growth in data sets. However, businesses lack the expertise needed to leverage their vast data resources. Thus, businesses are data-rich, but insights poor. This workshop equips the participants with the fundamental knowledge of data science needed to manage, manipulate, and organize datasets. The second part of the workshop equips the participants with the skills needed to perform predictive analytics with time series and cross-section data.
Dr. Murtaza Haider
Dr. Murtaza Haider is a professor of real estate management at the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University. He is the principal of a consulting firm, Regionomics Inc and an adjunct professor of engineering at McGill University.
Dr. Haider specializes in big data analytics & forecasting. His research interests include human development in Canada and South Asia, housing market dynamics, transport and infrastructure planning. Dr. Haider is a syndicated columnist with Post Media. His weekly column on real estate economics appears in the National Post/Financial Post and in regional newspapers across Canada. Since November 2017, his byline has appeared over 750 times in Canadian news media outlets. He has also written hundreds of columns and blogs for the Dawn newspaper and the Huffington Post.
Dr. Haider is passionate about analytics, big data, and data science. He is the author of a best-selling book: Getting Started with Data Science: Making Sense of Data with Analytics. The book was published by the IBM Press and Pearson and is available worldwide in print and digital formats from Amazon. Dr. Haider is also a co-author of Beyond the hype: Big data concepts, methods, and analytics, which has been one of the most cited publications on big data with over 2,100 citations since its publication in 2015. In collaboration with IBM, Dr. Haider's online course on analytics has been taken by thousands of data science enthusiasts worldwide.
Dr. Haider holds a Masters in transport engineering & a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering ( U of Toronto). Earlier, Dr. Haider was a professor of infrastructure engineering/planning at McGill University and an Associate Dean of Research & Graduate Programs at Ryerson University.
Dr. Sajjad Haider
Dr. Sajjad Haider is a Professor of Computer Science at the Institute of Business Administration Karachi (IBA) and also heads the Artificial Intelligence Lab. He is also affiliated with the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) as an honorary associate. Dr. Haider did his MS and PhD from George Mason University (USA) in the field of Decision Sciences. He is also a certified Data Scientist from EMC. After finishing his PhD, he worked for Fannie Mae (USA) where he led the data analytics efforts to develop credit scoring and fraud detection models on large data sets having tens of millions of observations. As a member of the UTS Data Analytics Design and Development Leadership Team, he helped to design and develop a three-module executive level data analytics program for Commonwealth Bank of Australia. The program has successfully trained hundreds of employees. Dr. Haider has also won a National ICT R&D Fund's grant to develop an anti-money laundering system using data analytics techniques. He has authored more than 50 research papers published in international journals and conference proceedings. He has been teaching Business Analytics, Data Mining, Big Data Analytics and other related courses at IBA for the past many years. Dr. Haider is a recipient of Best Teacher Award from Higher Education Commission (Pakistan), Endeavour Fellowship from Australian Govt., Best Paper Award from International Council on Systems Engineering (USA) and Best Student Paper Award from Command and Control Research and Program (USA). He also received the best student award in MS (George Mason University), gold medal in MCS (Karachi University) and gold medal in B.Sc.(H) (Karachi University).
- Introduction to data science
- Structured data sets and data management tools
- Data Wrangling with R and RStudio
- Managing Big Data with RStudio
- Data summarization and tabulation
- Data Visualization
- Introduction to Predictive Analytics
- Introduction to Timeseries Data
- Timeseries forecasting with financial time series
- Interrupted Timeseries Analysis
- Regression models with serial autocorrelation
- Introduction to survey (cross-section) data
- Forecasting with survey data
- Market share analysis and forecasting with RStudio
- Introduction to big data and data science, 2 hours
- Introduction to R and RStudio, 2 hours
- Introduction to working with structured data, 4 hours
- Data wrangling, 3 hours
- Summarizing data, 2 hours
- Visualizing data, 3 hours
- Intro to predictive analytics, 2 hours
- Time series forecasting, 3 hours
- Predictive analytics with x-section data, 3 hours
Who should attend?
The workshop is ideally suited for business managers and professionals in public sector agencies, such as ministries of planning, departments dealing with economic planning and forecasting, banking, business administration, quality control, resource allocation, human resources, healthcare facilities management, epidemiology and health-related research.
Participants will learn how to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of data-driven decision-making
- Understand the fundamentals of big data
- Learn about the latest tech in data science and analytics
- Develop proficiency in the use of the state-of-the-art in data science with RStudio and R
- Develop expertise in turning data into effective visualizations
- Develop applied proficiency in predictive analytics
PKR 90,000/ + 5% SST / participant:
- Inclusive of Course material, IBA Workshop Certificate, Lunch, Refreshments & Business networking